20 Encouraging Bible Verses about the Peace of God
While tossing and turning in the night I often need to remind myself of the simple truth in 1 John 3:20. The message puts it like this: For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves.
As I’ve taken this journey of learning to worry less I have found that finding peace depends largely on how willing I am to believe that God is greater than our worried hearts, that he’s bigger than our anxieties, and that he not only holds the future but knows more about it then we do.
20 Encouraging Bible Verses about Peace:
- “You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.” - Isaiah 26:3
- “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” - John 14:27
- "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere." - James 3:17
- “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33
- "Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you." - 2 Thessalonians 3:16
- “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” - Philippians 4:6-7
- "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!” - Isaiah 52:7
- "He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” - Psalm 46:10
- “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” - Numbers 6:24-26
- "Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord." - Hebrews 12:14
- "For whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech. They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it." - 1 Peter 3:10-11
- "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." - Romans 5:1
- "In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety." - Psalm 4:8
- "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:28-30
- "Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness." - James 3:18
- "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful." – Colossians 3:15
- "Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you." - 2 Corinthians 13:11
- "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." - Ephesians 4:3
- "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6
- "For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace." - Romans 8:6
A Prayer for Peace
I can't tell you how to find more peace but I can tell you to keep praying:
Jesus, come and be my peace. God, I believe that you know better than me so I am going to leave this in your hands. Help me to look at my present circumstances from your perspective. I want to trust you and rely on your strength to find contentment. I want to share the peace that I find in you with others. When the opportunity comes to speak life and peace to a friend, give me the words and courage to offer: ‘Jesus will be your peace.’ Amen.
Editor’s Note: Parts of this article were excerpted from A Prayer for Peace When You're Feeling Worried by Wendy van Eyck. You can read that piece in full here.
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can't find the words to pray.