Originally published Wednesday, 18 November 2015.
I go about my day, but sometimes my day goes about wrecking me. It goes about making me overwhelmed in a moment of frustration, angry at others, beaten by circumstances, discouraged by my actions and frustrated that I am not more of a "halo" Christian.
Ever felt this way?
When I come to think about it, I think it has much to do with what I am thinking about.
Because what we think, we live.
Are you listening to the conviction of the Spirit
or the condemnation of the devil?
10 Ways to Know:
1. The Spirit infuses love, the devil accuses with shame.
The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Ro. 8:16
2. God draws us near, the devil pushes us lonely into fear.
“I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears" Psalm 34:4
3. The Spirit hands out an invitation, the devil speaks accusations. The Spirit invites us to life-change and liberation while the devil invites us to death.
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Cor. 3:1
4. The Spirit makes us new, the devil makes us dwell in the old. The Spirit works in the now, the devil reinforces yesterday.
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 2 Cor. 3:6
5. The Spirit speaks correction, the devil speaks destruction.
The Spirit reinforces the Word of Life, while the devil rips it apart, reworks it and denies it to suit his needs to destroy us.
When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment. Jo. 16:8
6. The Spirit reveals, the devil steals.
These things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. 1 Cor. 2:10
7. The devil pushes legalistic law, the Spirit pushes life-giving liberation.
If the devil can make you work hard to be loved, he will. The Spirit is always at work to confirm your position as child.
The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." Ro. 8:15
8. The devil sends us on a parade of feelings, the Spirit sends us into a journey through God's Word.
Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Eph. 6:17
9. The devil reminds us how bad we were, the Spirit reminds us of how secure and significant we will be as we turn back to God.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God. Eph. 2:8
10. The Spirit brings self-denial, the devil encourages self-will, self-promotion and selfishness.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. Gal. 2:20
The Spirit is a force of freedom, a revealer of God's wisdom and an offerer of love, the devil comes simply to steal, kill and destroy. May we walk bad voices right out the door, so the peace of God may walk in. Then, our temples will shine Christ far and wide.
Get all Purposeful Faith blog posts by email - click here.
Join Kelly on her blog, Purposeful Faith, on Twitter and on Facebook.