Originally published Tuesday, 20 November 2012.
All of us could take time to reflect on what could be, what isn't, what we wish was, or what we hope to one day be. We could talk about the bad economy or politics or why our boss isn't doing what we want him to. But today, in celebration of the Thanksgiving Holiday, I am choosing to publicly thank God for all of the blessings in my life. Here are just a few:
- my husband, who loves me more than I could have ever dreamed, and of whom I am certain I don't deserve.
- my kids, yes, even the teenagers!
- my health. Sure, I'm getting some loose skin around the knees, cellulite on the thighs, and wrinkles around the eyes, but other than that, I'm in perfect health! (Okay, there are a few "other" things, but we don't have time for them, here).
- my church. Wow, what God has done in our church is beautiful and amazing. I'm in awe to see how God unifies his people, and his plans move forward despite unforeseeable bumps in the road.
- early morning cups of coffee and my newest discovery - warm tea. Yes, I've been living under a rock, but I have now emerged and discovered the endless varieties of warm tea out there.
- my ministry. To see God's hand upon The Life of a Single Mom Ministries, the favor, the growth, and the hard times that somehow turned around is a true miracle.
- my recently renovated living room. Okay, yeah, trivial to most, but you try living in a 40-year-old house with carpet that looked just as old and see what a new set of curtains will do for you!
- my friends. There's nothing like having real friends that you can laugh and cry with, go through their refrigerators, and receive honest criticism from, such as, "Where'd you get those hideous boots? That shirt shows your muffin top. You're too old for that nail polish. And, your hair is looking a little frizzy. You may want to use a little more hairspray."
- and most of all, a Heavenly father that sustains me, strengthens me, encourages me, gives me peace, courage, and never leaves me!
Jennifer Maggio is an award-winning author and speaker who is also founder The Life of a Single Mom Ministries. TLSM was founded from Maggio’s own journey and resolve to not be just another statistic. Maggio has appeared in hundred of media venues, including The 700 Club, Focus on the Family, Daystar TV and countless others. For more information on Maggio or TLSM Ministries, visit http://www.thelifeofasinglemom.com.