Jennifer Maggio is considered a leading authority on single parents and womens issues. She is an award-winning author and speaker who draws from her own experiences through abuse, homelessness, and teen pregnancy to inspire audiences everywhere. She is founder of The Life of a Single Mom Ministries and writes for dozens of publications. She has been featured with hundreds of media outlets, including The 700 Club, Daystar Television, Moody Radio, Focus on the Family, and many more. For more information, visit thelifeofasinglemom.com.
As I sat to ponder my son's upcoming eighteenth birthday, my mind was flooded with memories from his childhood - the first time he swung a baseball to bat, his first words, first steps, the first time he said, "I wub you."
I could not believe that the last eighteen years had flown by, just as others swore they would. I wondered how I would mark this special occasion in his life. And so, alas, as a writer, what else would I do, but write? Here are the twenty tidbits of advice I offered him and thought you may would day appreciate for your own children:
1. Gratitude is attitude. Always thank God for your blessings.
3. Practice good personal hygiene. Bad breath and dirty armpits are gross.
4. Clean up after yourself.
5. Pay your bills on time. Your credit will follow you everywhere.
6. Work hard.
7. God's word is the only thing that won't fail you. Read it.
8. Be a man of high integrity. Don't lie. Don't cheat. Don't steal.
9. Do not give up on church. You need it.
10. Profanity defiles your spirit. Watch what you feed your soul.
11. Money won't make you happy.
12. There's no substitute for time with the Lord. It fills our soul.
13. Sexual immorality has life-altering consequences.
14. Be whole in Christ before you search for a wife. She will never complete you.
15. Voting is a right and a duty. Participate.
16. Look for ways to serve others.
17. Take your time finding a life-mate. Marriage is forever.
18. God is good. He loves you, won't leave you, and extends grace to his children.
19. Don't forget to call your mom.
20. It's my greatest joy to call you "son". I love you.
Author/speaker, Jennifer Maggio, is one of the nation’s leading authorities on single parents and women’s issues. She is an award-winning author and founder of The Life of a Single Mom Ministries. She currently oversees one of the nation’s largest single moms support groups and has helped to launch more than 1500 others in churches around the globe. She is a regular on radio and television. For more information, visithttp://www.thelifeofasinglemom.com.