A Prayer for When Your Heart Is Heavy
Sometimes, when burdens overwhelm us or times feel hard, we just need to be reminded that we’re not alone in this journey. Maybe the struggle has seemed too hard for a long while now. Or you feel like you’re just stuck, and tired of trying to keep moving forward. God's words give strength, purpose, and grace in whatever we might be facing. They alone can bring inner calm and security, that nothing else in the world can give.
Sometimes, when burdens overwhelm us or times feel hard, we just need to be reminded that we’re not alone in this journey. Maybe the struggle has seemed too hard for a long while now. Or you feel like you’re just stuck, and tired of trying to keep moving forward.
Maybe it’s difficult to see what God is doing, or how He could ever use this situation for good in life. It may be that you’ve found yourself right in the middle of the desert, in the fire, in the flood of hard times; and though you know God is with you, it’s hard to even feel His Presence anymore. Other times, our hearts are so heavy for those we love, and we don’t even know what to do or what to pray. Fear and worry can be tough enemies to battle. They seek to chase peace far away, leaving the uncertainties of the future looming over us, dark and big.
God's words give strength, purpose, and grace in whatever we might be facing. They alone can bring inner calm and security, that nothing else in the world can give.
A Prayer for When Your Heart Is Heavy:
Thank you for reminding us in your Word that we do not face the storms alone, but you are always with us. Whispering calm. Speaking peace. Bringing rest to our souls.
This world feels like a hard place some days; it’s hurting and broken. We pray for those who are facing deep losses right now, for the times that grief has covered us all. Please comfort us through the painful seasons, surrounding those we love with your huge peace and the reassuring presence of your Holy Spirit.
We confess our need for you. We ask you to forgive us for trying to figure everything out on our own, for not trusting that you are more than able and powerful to work on our behalf. Forgive us for picking back up what we already determined to lay down at your feet. Give us the ability to trust you more, give us hearts that find rest in your presence. Give us the wisdom to seek peace and pursue it, remembering that it’s only to be found in you.
Thank you for the promise that your yoke is easy, and your burden is light. Thank you that you care for us so incredibly and that the peace of your loving presence guards and protects our hearts and minds in you. Thank you that we never have to walk in fear or live constantly in these overwhelmed cycles of worry and stress.
Help us to keep our eyes on you, and to see when another soul around us needs to be encouraged. Help us to be faithful to carry one another’s burdens, remembering that we’re all in this life together, and there’s such great power in unity and love.
Thank you that you are the soul refresher, the One who brings us rest, lifts our burdens, and gives peace. Thank you that you renew our strength and encourage our weary hearts. Thank you that you know our needs before we even ask you, that you know our thoughts, and all that troubles us today.
We ask you to please bring us into seasons of refreshing from your Spirit, that you would draw us closer to your presence as we seek to follow you. Help us to remember what’s most important in this world, and what’s not. Teach us to hold on to what matters, and to better know how to let go of what doesn’t.
Thank you for the gift of Jesus and the freedom He brings. For no matter what we go through in this life, or what we're up against today, we never have to be shaken. You hold us secure, and we’re kept safe with you.
We love you Lord. We need you today, to once again lift from our hearts this heaviness and constant burden, as only you are able. And help us to find rest and hope in you again.
In Jesus’ Name,
25 Reminders of Hope for when Your Heart Feels Heavy and Burdened:
We can bring our burdens to Christ, believing He is at work in our lives for good:
1. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)
2. “Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7)
3. “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. …” (Psalm 23:1-6)
4. “Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.” (Psalm 55:22)
5. "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)
God reminds us not to be anxious or afraid, for He is always with us:
6. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7)
8. "…Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.” (Isaiah 43:1-2)
9. “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.” (Psalm 91:1)
10. “The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” (Exodus 33:14)
We can choose to set our hearts and minds on Him:
11. “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things…and the God of peace will be with you.” (Philippians 4:8-9)
12. “Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)
13. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)
14. “He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:29-31)
15. “Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor my covenant of peace be removed, says the Lord, who has compassion on you.” (Isaiah 54:10)
No matter what we face, God promises to give us peace:
16. “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)
17. “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.” (Isaiah 26:3)
18. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)
19. “Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.” (2 Thessalonians 3:16)
20. “The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you, the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” (Numbers 6:24-26)
God is our refuge and strength in times of trouble:
21. “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” (2 Corinthians 12:9)
22. “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:26)
23. “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” (Psalm 46:1)
24. “The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.” (Exodus 14:14)
25. “The Lord gives strength to his people, the Lord blesses his people with peace.” (Psalm 29:11)
No matter how you feel right now, His truth says again and again: God is near.
And right in the heat of hard times, in the deep, in the wilderness, He’s hiding you under the safe shadow of His wings. You may not be fully aware, but He is sheltering you too. Watching over you constantly. And He promises that nothing is too difficult for Him. His power is greater. He will lift you up, straight out of the place you feel stuck, and get you moving again on the right track. Because He has new places for you to walk, in freedom from burdens, in the release from a spirit of heaviness, and in great blessing and purpose.
Peace to you this day my friends. He’s fighting for you, carrying these burdens on your behalf, and He won’t let go.
Debbie McDaniel is a writer, pastor's wife, mom to three amazing kids (and a lot of pets). Join her each morning on Fresh Day Ahead's Facebook page, for daily encouragement in living strong, free, hope-filled lives. Find her also on Twitter and at her blog www.debbiemcdaniel.com.
This article is part of our Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can't find the words to pray.
Photo credit: Unsplash/Andrew Le