Since we can be blind to God’s blessings, here are verses and quotes about how God blesses us. After all, who wouldn’t want to be aware of how God is blessing them and then be inspired to give blessings to others! We may not be capable of blessing others in all the ways God blesses us, but there are many ways we can. Even if it’s saying “God bless you” after someone sneezes.
Photo Credit: Getty Images/bennyb
Where Does the Bible Talk about God Blessing Us?
You most likely won’t be surprised to learn that in the ESV version of the Bible, there are 496 references to the multiple variations of “bless” (blessing, blessed, etc.). From Genesis to Revelation, God names how he blesses us over and over again. The first one is in Genesis 1:22: “And God blessed them, saying, ‘Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.’”
The last one is Revelation 22:14: “Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.”
“And we are told to return the favor by blessing God:
“Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!” (Psalm 103:1)
But what exactly does the word “bless” refer to? According to Easton’s Bible Dictionary, there are five primary meanings or applications:
1. God bestows some temporal or spiritual gift.
2. We bless God when we thank him for his mercies.
3. A man blesses himself when he invokes God’s blessing or rejoices in God’s goodness.
4. Someone blesses another person when he expresses good wishes or offers a prayer for another’s welfare.
5. The Jewish custom of the thank-offering is referred to as “a cup of blessing,” where the master of the feast takes a cup of wine and blesses God. Then everyone drinks from the cup. In 1 Corinthians 10:16, it also refers to taking communion.
Photo Credit: GettyImages/RomoloTavani
10 Quotes from the Bible about How God Blesses Us
As we consider this very familiar concept of blessings, let’s first consider 10 quotes from the Bible about how God blesses us.
1. God blesses us with the seventh day of rest. “So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.” — Genesis 2:3
2. God blesses us with opportunities to be generous to the poor. “Whoever despises his neighbor is a sinner, but blessed is he who is generous to the poor.” — Proverbs 14:21
3. God blesses us through trusting Him. “Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.” — Proverbs 16:20
4. God blesses us with the joy of supporting God’s work. “Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need.” — Malachi 3:10
5. God blesses us with satisfaction when we hunger and thirst for righteousness. “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.” — Matthew 5:6
6. God blesses us with the Bible. “But he said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!” — Luke 11:28
7. God blesses us through our obedience. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.” — John 13:17
9. God blesses us through the spiritual blessings of our inheritance in Christ. “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places…” — Ephesians 1:3
10. God blesses us with the assurance of Jesus’s return. “Waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ…” — Titus 2:13
Photo Credit: Unsplash/Ben White
15 Classic Quotes about How God Blesses Us
All of literature provides classic Christian quotes about how God blesses us. We’ll only include 15 here, but there are many more available.
1. “Prosperity is the blessing of the Old Testament; adversity is the blessing of the New.” — Francis Bacon
2. “How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy.” — Thomas Jefferson
3. “Never undertake anything for which you wouldn’t have the courage to ask the blessings of heaven.” — G.C. Lichtenberg
4. “Taken separately, the experiences of life can work harm and not good. Taken together, they make a pattern of blessing and strength the like of which the world does not know.” — V. Raymond Edman
5. “We have forgotten the gracious Hand which has preserved us in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us, and have vainly imagined in the deceitfulness of our hearts that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own.” — Abraham Lincoln
6. “Have you ever thought that in every action of grace in your heart you have the whole omnipotence of God engaged to bless you?” — Andrew Murray
7. “The best things are nearest: breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of God just before you.” — Robert Louis Stevenson
8. “God bestows His blessings without discrimination. The followers of Jesus are children of God, and they should manifest the family likeness by doing good to all, even to those who deserve the opposite.” — F.F. Bruce
9. “Blessedness consists in the accomplishment of our desires, and in our having only regular desires.” — St. Augustine
10. “Blessed is the man who has a skin of the right thickness. He can work happily in spite of enemies and friends.” — Henry T. Bailey
11. “There is in man a higher than love of happiness; he can do without happiness, and instead thereof seek blessedness.” — Thomas Carlyle
12. “Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” — Charles Dickens
13. “Blessed is that man who has done with chance, who never speaks of luck, but believes that from the least even to the greatest, all things are ordained of the Lord.” — Charles Spurgeon
14. “It is generally true that all that is required to make men unmindful of what they owe to God for any blessings, is, that they should receive that blessing often and regularly.” — Richard Whately
15. “The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but the thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings.” — Henry Ward Beecher
Photo Credit: Getty Images/Tinnakorn Jorruang
15 Modern Quotes about How God Blesses Us
Now we’ll consider 15 modern Christian quotes about how God blesses us.
1. “The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.” — Eric Hoffer
2. “When you refuse to retaliate and instead respond in love at work or with somebody who doesn’t like you, God will be pleased. And you’re going to be blessed.” — Rick Warren
3. “Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.” — Camille Pissarro
4. “There is no blessing until we look deep down in our own soul and see our spiritual life as it really is.” — Alan Redpath
5. “When you focus on being a blessing, God makes sure that you are always blessed in abundance.” — Joel Osteen
6. “Count your blessings, not your problems. Count your own blessings, not someone else’s. Remember that jealousy is when you count someone else’s blessings instead of your own.” — Roy T. Bennett
7. “When we lose one blessing, another is often most unexpectedly given in its place.” — C.S. Lewis
8. “Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” — W. T. Purkiser
9. “The blessedness of waiting is lost on those who cannot wait, and the fulfillment of promise is never theirs. They want quick answers to the deepest questions of life and miss the value of those times of anxious waiting, seeking with patient uncertainties until the answers come. They lose the moment when the answers are revealed in dazzling clarity.” — Dietrich Bonhoeffer
10. “There are so many blessings that go along with tithing, but it is the principle of putting God first and the principle of faith that initiates the blessings. It is the trigger.” — Robert Morris
11. “Blessed is the man who gets the opportunity to devote his life to something bigger than himself and who finds himself surrounded by friends who share his passion.” — Andy Stanley
12. “But in God’s kingdom the first will be last, and those who serve Him daily, with humble hearts, will experience real, eternal blessings.” — Sarah Francis Martin
13. “Desiring what others have keeps us from being personally grateful for God’s many blessings.” — Lilliet Garrison
14. “I have had to learn to follow God, even when I could not feel his blessing on my life.” — Christopher Roberts
15. “Concentrate on counting your blessings and you’ll have little time to count anything else.” — Woodrow Kroll
Photo Credit: Unsplash/Ashkan Forouzani
A Prayer to Remember God Blesses Us
God wants us to pray about how to remember God blesses us. We can’t remember on our own, and He wants to help us, as He does with everything. Here is a prayer you may want to pray.
Father God, I bless your holy name. I’m so grateful you want me to see how you bless me, especially since my spiritual eyes are often blinded, and my mind is alert only to what I declare a blessing. Remind me often that you know best, and your definition of a blessing might be different than mine. You know I struggle with that sometimes, Father. Give me courage and confidence in your wise nature that I will have peace no matter what happens. That everything happening to me can be viewed as a blessing in some way.
Help me remember how many in the Bible thought their adversity couldn’t work out for good, but you faithfully created good things beyond what they imagined. I surrender to you, my Lord and Master. Thank you for both the obvious blessings and the hidden ones. In Jesus’s name, I pray. Amen.
For additional resources about blessings, check out:
Photo Credit: Unsplash/Miriam G
Originally published Thursday, 21 July 2022.