Encouragement for Today
“An Atmosphere of Faith”
Marybeth Whalen, Author, Proverbs 31 Speaker Team Member
Isaiah 60:19, “The sun will no more be your light by day, nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you, for the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory.” (NIV)
It was a gray, gloomy day at our house. The weather was threatening rain and the skies were overcast. The cold temperatures seemed to be seeping into the house from outside. Inside the house, all of our moods seemed to reflect the humdrum atmosphere as we slumped on the couch and did not have much to smile about. No one seemed motivated to do much except pass the time staring outside. Ho-hum.
And then, the skies parted to make way for the sun. The clouds dispersed and sunlight came bursting through. All of a sudden, our once-gloomy home was literally filled with the sun’s light. In a moment, the whole atmosphere of our home was transformed by the sun’s invading presence. “Mommy, mommy,” my three year-old son said excitedly, “The sun’s in our house!”
The light of the sun did make our house feel different. The cold weather seemed to vanish and the hopeless, despondent feeling we all had seemed to disappear magically. It really did feel, as my son put into words, that the sun was in our house. Later I reflected on that moment and my son’s exclamation. I realized the spiritual lesson God had given me on that ordinary day.
“The sun’s in our house!” my son had exclaimed.
Is the Son in our house? I wondered. Am I allowing the Son’s transforming presence to invade our lives and change the tone of our household? Am I allowing His love to add warmth to our days, no matter what the circumstances around us? I have the Son to call on whenever I have need – but do I?
I began to think about how I can create an atmosphere of faith in our home. How can I make sure that the Son’s bright presence is apparent to my children and husband, and to all who enter our home? I have a few suggestions for how to invite the Son to be a part of your home and create an atmosphere of faith in the process:
· Surround yourself with Scripture throughout your home. Post verses written on index cards on your bathroom mirror, your refrigerator, over your sink, etc.
· Consider purchasing framed calligraphy of your favorite verses to hang on the walls.
· Play praise music in your home during the day. Sing loudly—even if your kids grimace when you do!
· Begin the day by reading the Bible aloud before members of the family go their separate ways.
· Pray aloud together whenever you can.
· Ban the enemy from your home by not engaging in activities that glorify him. This includes words used, websites visited, TV programs, video games or videos watched that are not pleasing to Jesus.
· Try to have attitudes and actions that reflect the character of Jesus towards one another.
· Go through your house and invite the Son into each room. Pray over the activities that take place in those rooms and ask for Jesus to be a part of these things in the life of your family. Pray for God to pour out His blessings on your home!
How can you make sure that you have an attitude of praise and an atmosphere of faith each day in your home? Invite the Son in and let His light warm up your home and all those who enter it. May your family be able to exclaim, “The Son’s in our house!”
My Prayer for Today:
Dear Heavenly Father, Thank You for giving us Jesus to fill our lives with His light. Help us to remember to call on Him. Help us to learn how to fill our homes with His presence. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Choose a few ideas from this devotion to implement in your home today. Ask your children and husband if they have some ideas for creating an atmosphere of faith in your home.
Ask yourself the same questions I asked myself:
Revelation 21:23, “The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.” (NIV)
Proverbs 3:33, “The Lord’s curse is on the house of the wicked, but He blesses the home of the righteous.” (NIV)
Psalm 84:11, “The Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless.” (NIV)
Judges 5:31, “So may all your enemies perish, O Lord! But may they who love you be like the sun when it rises in its strength.” (NIV)
Homespun Memories for the Heart, by Karen Ehman et al
Out of the Mouth of Babes, by Wendy Pope
Declaration (Music CD), by Gwen Smith