Originally published Monday, 08 September 2014.
The majority of people wait until the New Year's to make resolutions, but I say -- why not craft a missions statement now? Let's beat the winter blues together by setting new goals for the Fall!
Besides, it's the perfect time with back to school, work-life returning back to normal, and the holidays are still far enough away. So pull up a chair, grab a journal and pen (or computer) and figure out where you're currently at, and where you want to go.
An exercise I learned recently from Light University Online, was how to craft a missions statement. During a video lecture, I realized that it had been a while since I had written one. In fact, ten years to be exact! It reminded me that it's a great time to write a new missions statement.
It's never too late to set a new goal!
I love this quote from Georgia Shaffer. She said,
"As we realize our dreams, we never stop growing."
That is so true! As God fulfills one dream after another -- it's time to pray, think, and plan for the next one!
Another quote that really impacted me recently said, "you can only lead others where you yourself are prepared to go (or have already been). Remember, there are two price tags to every dream:
- What it costs you personally
- What it costs others if you don't listen and obey what the Lord is telling you to do!
If you are thinking like me, that it's a good time to write a missions statement -- make sure it includes 4 of the following:
- One-three sentences maximum. (Succinct and Concise)
- Includes your goals, skills, or values
- Adjectives that convey you are unique!
- The what and why (What makes you unique and why?)
Recently, I have heard from more than a few of my dream coaching clients that they are struggling to return back to the rhythms of the Fall. I want you to know this is normal!
Summers are meant for play and creativity while the Fall is a great time to start planning for future dreams!
This Fall, if you are pursuing a dream or helping someone else pursue theirs, why not consider writing a missions statement to keep you on track? Although it is just one more tool in your tool belt, it will help you become more disciplined.
Here's my missions statement:
I, Renee Fisher, am transformed and unashamed through Christ to use my gifts as a writer, speaker, and dream coach to spur others forward to love and good deeds (Hebrews 10:24).
I wanted to keep this week's blog short for 4 reasons:
- I can't craft your missions statement for you. This is something you need to think and pray about yourself!
- I wanted to give an update to personally thank all who gave towards my IndieGoGo Campaign to Help Renee Become Life Coach Certified. I still have a few perks left including 1 and 3-Dream Coaching Sessions and a signed copy of either Dream Devotional or Forgiving Others, Forgiving Me!
- Quarter Life Conference is this Saturday, the 13th. It's not too late to sign up for free here. I hope you'll join Rachel Berry and I as we present amazing speakers on the topics of: Dating & Dreams.
- Watch my Dreaming Big While...Single video for ChristianMingle on YouTube here or below.