Originally published Tuesday, 31 May 2016.
Hey you, things not going well?
Hey you, struggling again?
Hey you, people driving you batty?
I am so sorry it feels everything is working against you, I know how that is. I really do. It's tiring. It's hard. This world has rough edges. It is not gentle with them either.
I also want to say, "God is for you." I can almost hear your response, "Ya, ya, ya, Kelly, we've heard that one before. It sounds nice in theory."
Let me tell you something - you can know it - and not live it. But, when you live it - you more and more start to know it.
What takes voice is not vile or vitriol but, love, grace and hope; it heals.
It may look something like this:
Screamers in the car? "God is for me. God wants this to work out. God will equip me with patience."
Waiting around for something to happen? "God is readying all the players, so his game can be won."
Enduring a trial that won't quit trying you? "God is training me. He molding me and making me more like Christ."
Deathly tired? "Today is #anightmare, tomorrow is #newmercies."
What if rather than seeing how life is fixin to ruin me
I sought to see how God is renewing me?
To let the weight of God's love sit heavy, is to not allow worry to break your back.
What if we saw things differently?
Sure, it may feel we are on our last leg, about to tumble over. Sure, we may feel tired. Sure,we may feel like our emotions are a hot mess. But, what if we chose to give a little hat nod to all that and then determined to fix our eyes somewhere else?
When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your unfailing love, Lord, supported me.
When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy. (Psalm 94:18-19)
Notice this, it says: "My foot is slipping."
Notice the fell-swoop rescue: "Your unfailing love, Lord, supported me."
Daddy-bird protects his young; God lifts us from our injury through the power of love.
Notice this: "When anxiety was great..."
Notice this: "Your consolation brought me joy."
Anxiety was plentiful, but joy was available.
What does joy in distress look like?
5 Little Glimmers of Joy against Distress
1. It looks like, "Thank You." God, thank you that you love me. God, thank you that you are with me. God, thank you that in every single moment, you are singularly focused on helping me. Thank you that Jesus proves it isn't always easy, but you are always faithful. Thank you that there is life beyond this wretched life.
2. It looks like, "Worship." God, you are mighty. You are strong. You are capable. Where I cannot, you can. You will redeem, because that is who you are. You are Redeemer. Faithful and true. High and lofty. Holy and worthy. Greater and stronger. I am small, you are big and, because of this, you can do the impossible. I see a mountain, you just see a molehill.
3. It looks like, "I trust you anyway." God, let the chips fall where they may, because where they fall is just where you want them to land. And, when they do, it will be your jackpot that rings out. For what you are working, is greater than what I am seeing. And where we are going, is greater than where I feel my emotions stand today.
4. It looks like, "Help me." God, I need you. Restore my joy. Hear my cry. Answer my call. I need you.
5. It looks like, "I will go with you." God, I choose to see you in my day. I choose to see the little gifts of joy - the smiles on my kid's faces, the butterfly passing by, the river that rolls on steady, the sun that is ever at my back. I choose to let you in, when darkness abounds. You are there. I will search you - and then, find you.
Bad Mood Prayer:
I don't have to, God - for you will. I don't need to God, for you are. It is okay that I feel down. It is okay to struggle. It is okay to have a hard day. God, you can handle my worst day. You will be faithful to me. Restore me, bring me back to the place of love, of consolation - for that is all I need. Amen.
Get all Purposeful Faith blog posts by email - click here.
Join Kelly on her blog, Purposeful Faith, on Twitter and on Facebook.