Originally published Tuesday, 24 July 2012.
1. Be sure to have somewhere to connect the moms AFTER the event is over. Without a doubt, the quickest way to reach more people and grow your Single Moms Ministry is through an event, whether it be a one-day conference, ladies' night, two-day event, or other. The ladies leave rejuvenated and excited. But after the event, we want to ensure that every lady gets plugged into a long-term ministry, so that she can thrive and grow. It is imperative that the infrastructure of your existing single moms' ministry be strong and healthy, so that you can handle the harvest that will certainly come. Be sure you have flyers and information available after the event, so that women know when your next single moms' meeting is held.
2. Advertise. Simple enough, right? There are dozens of ways to get the word out about your event, even if your budget is limited. Here are just a few:
- Pass out flyers at daycares (70% of all children in daycare are those of single parents), local colleges and high schools, grocery stores, etc.
- Local radio stations & newspapers will usually advertise nonprofit and church events for free.
- Free websites. Your church website. Blogs.
- Utilize Social Media. Create an "event" in social media.
- Sunday morning announcements (do it early and often), church bulletins, church "big-screen" commercials.
3. Create the event with excellence, as unto the Lord. Form a committee and begin to plan the details of the event. The Lord blesses us with creativity. Use it. What will you do for food? Will you charge the attendees or provide the event free of charge and raise funds? Will the church over all costs? Music? Emcee? Gifts? Games? Speaker?
4. Childcare is a must. We recommend childcare from infants through teenagers, so that no single mom is left out. Plan age-appropriate games, crafts, and activities.
5. Do not let budget deter you from this special event. Funds for a single parent event can be raised within the church via special donations, fundraisers, or community events.The Lord is never limited by funds availability and we encourage you not to let that be a deterant in ministering to your single mothers.
The Life of a Single Mom Ministries is the nation's fastest-growing nonprofit specializing in equipping the church to minister to single parents thru support groups, events, and resources. For more information, visit http://www.thelifeofasinglemom.com.