When Plans Fail
- 2017 Apr 24
It’s quite normal to shout, “WHAT! But God?” Trust me. I get it! I’ve totally been there. And by the looks of it, you’re either here now or want to know more about how to get over it when your plans fail.
For starters, when this happens, I know it can be pretty disappointing, disheartening, or even downright humiliating. It may even be devastating! Again, I know all about it. Yet, I have also learned over the years that when our plans fail, it’s often because God either has a better plan or because He’s teaching us a life-changing principle or valuable lesson.
Simply stated - we’re not in control, sis. Plans go wrong or not as anticipated for all sorts of reasons. For instance, the Bible tells us in…
- Proverbs 15:22, “Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success.”
- Proverbs 16:3, “Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed.”
- Proverbs 19:21, “You can make yours plans, but the Lord’s plans will prevail.”
- Proverbs 16:9, “We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.”
- Isaiah 55:8, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.”
The life lesson and application from these verses are…
- We need to get advice. This means talking to people whom you trust and who will give you good, wise godly counsel before moving forward with your plans. This takes humility. But God can use that individual or individuals to give you exactly what you need.
- Lift up your ideas and action plans to God. In other words, don’t move without Him. Commit it all to Him. Pray and ask the Lord what He would have you to do. Consult Him.The Bible states, “and your plans will succeed.”
- At the end of the day, we can make our plans, but what God ultimately wants us to do will actually happen. His plans just work! #amen
- Proverbs 16:9 is my personal favorite verse as it relates to planning. Visionaries have great ideas and plans. However, we have to know that the Lord will determine what steps will actually be taken. Trust is sooooo needed here. Letting go and relinquishing control, while also following His lead is crucial for a successful outcome.
- Lastly, when we women get to thinking, we can really think, right? We can put a lot together in our minds. Yet, again. God is in control. On a grander scale, He knows exactly what needs to be done in our world. His ways are higher than ours (from experience, His thoughts are truly better too!) ;-)
I know firsthand about this when I started writing my first book. I was going to write about something else. I had already written the title, laid out the front cover, wrote the back cover text and introduction...until I opened my Bible and read, Isaiah 55:8. I knew it was a God-shift.
Initially, I was like, "What! But God?" But after the initial disappointment, I knew that it wouldn't be wise to reason away His leading. So I went with the shift, ditched that title, and followed His lead on the new title, "IDENTIFIED: Knowing Who You Are in Christ & Moving Forward in Your Purpose." He told me, "I know where my people are right now. I know what they need." I'm super glad that I followed His plan over my own. It truly is all about His purpose.
Guess what sis? It’s going to work out. And it’s going to work out for the best. You may or may not be familiar with the verse Romans 8:28, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” Key statement…His purpose. Key point…for good.
I say all of this to say, He loves you, sis. He’s called you for a purpose. And as long as you seek Him for direction, follow His Word and Holy Spirit, while also trusting that His plan is best, you will succeed. Again, disappointments will come. But when they do, try to embrace the new reality that even though your plan may have failed, God’s plan won't. In the long run, it will benefit everyone - including you. #trusthim #follow
Remember, Jesus is coming back soon! And those who endure unto the end shall be saved. So let’s be ready from the Inside Out!
QUESTION: Did a plan fail? How are you dealing with it? If you need prayer, state your prayer request here or you can email me directly @ firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing from you and praying for you.
ALSO, just want to encourage you to grab my NEW book, “IDENTIFIED: Knowing Who You Are in Christ & Moving Forward in Your Purpose!” ORDER IT TODAY right here on Amazon.com! And if you already have it and have read it, please give me a REVIEW on Amazon.com. Thanks so much in advance.
*Tune in every Monday at 7:30am for new posts, “Like” my Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/InsideOutWCourtnaye), and follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/InOutwCourtnaye. Also, share this blog with friends, family, co-workers, or your women’s group or ministry. I’d love to stay connected and help more women grow in the Lord! Thanks again and may God be with you!