15 Ways to Study the Bible & Grow Spiritually
- 2016 Jan 04
Editor's Note: This post first appeared on www,insideoutwithcourtnaye.org
How are things going for you so far this year? Have you been drawing closer to God? It’s time to draw nigh to God more now than ever before, my sister! We simply cannot live this Christian life or even conquer our daily responsibilities successfully without the power of His word and Holy Spirit. So on that note, here are a few helpful tips on how to study the Bible and grow spiritually. Are you ready? Here goes…
- Study a BOOK of the Bible – Read a whole book like Ephesians, Philippians, Psalm, James, etc. (and when you read it, have a notebook, journal, pen, and highlighter ready to take notes of things that jump off the pages to you…like revelation knowledge!)
- Character Studies – Study those who have gone through life already, like Joshua, David, Job, Samuel, Moses, Esther, etc. And don’t just look at the good ones, but take a look at the ones who messed up, so you’ll learn “not” to do that! 1 Corinthians 10:11 tells us, “And these events happened to them as examples for us. They were written down to warn us, who live at the time when this age is drawing to a close.” (NLT)
- Study the Life of Jesus – Read and study the gospels to see how Jesus responded to life and people (study His character in order to become more like Him)
- Topics – As the Spirit leads you, study certain topics (i.e. contentment, fruit of the Spirit, obedience, full armor of God, forgiveness, anger, love, joy, etc.)
- Proverbs – Read it for wisdom on how to live day-to-day as a wise Christian woman (idea…read a chapter a day for 31 days each month of the year)
- Read the Bible all the way through – Read from Genesis to Revelation (Find a Bible Reading Plan or just start reading)
- Get a Study Bible – This will help you to understand the Scriptures better. Also when you study, have a dictionary nearby or Google the definitions of words in the natural text as well as Greek meanings (for deeper understanding). A concordance and commentary are also very helpful. You’ll be amazed at what you will learn!
- Read/Research – Read and research problem areas in your life and allow God to change you one step at a time (i.e. submissive wife, obedience to authority, having godly character, anger, dealing with difficult people, impure thoughts, etc.)
- Create a Scripture List – Create a Scripture list with all the Scriptures that you need for the season you’re in and speak it out loud.
- Read a Book – Read a book on the subject you want to grow in and take that book with you everywhere you to go (with a notebook) and finish it.
- Get the FREE Bible App on your Phone – Listen to the word and have it at your fingertips. Get you some headphones and listen to the word as often as you can. Remember, faith cometh by hearing, and by hearing the word of God.
- Surround yourself with the Word – Type up, write up, or print up Scriptures and put them in places where you will be encouraged or ministered to by them. You can even buy mugs, frames, journals, etc. with the verses on them. The point is to surround yourself with it.
- Go to a Women’s Bible Study, Create a Book Club, or Small Group Study - If you’re not already plugged into a Women’s Bible Study in your church or community, I highly suggest that you pray and find one where you can grow with other Christian women. You’ll be amazed at your spiritual growth after you’ve committed to one or spent time in a weekly fellowship with other like-minded women!
- Find a Women’s Conference – Look out for women’s conferences in your city or near your area. And if the Lord leads you to go, then go and grow! While you’re at it, bring a friend or invite a group. It’s good fellowship!
- Allow the Holy Spirit to Lead You – He will be the one to guide you into all truth. He will whisper to you what books to read, topics to study, conferences to attend, and Scriptures to memorize for the season you’re in. So be sensitive to His prompting and direction. He will only tell you what our Father in heaven wants you to do.
I hope and pray that this has helped you in some way. The Bible tells us in 2 Timothy 2:15, “Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” Study, sis. Memorize. Meditate on God’s word. Hide it deep down in your heart, so that you might not sin against God as Psalm 119:11 says. And become the worthy vessel that He has called you to be in these last days. It’s time to gird up and sharpen your sword (the word of God), so that you will be ready for anything that comes your way!
Remember Jesus is coming back soon! And those who endure unto the end shall be saved. So let’s be ready from the Inside Out!
*TELL OTHER WOMEN about Inside Out with Courtnaye. It’s all about helping women grow stronger in their walk with Christ from the inside out (from the heart). Jesus is coming back soon, so let’s help populate heaven together! Also, to get more biblical and practical nuggets, stay connected through my social media outlets and donate too if it’s helping you (this takes work…LOL!). Also, if you have any questions, need advice, or want to book me for your next speaking engagement, email me directly @ email@example.com! Let’s do this!
Don’t forget to “LIKE” my Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/InsideOutWCourtnaye, follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/InOutwCourtnaye, and if the Lord leads you, make a generous financial donation here: www.insideoutwithcourtnaye.org. Thanks in advance sis, and may God bless you richly as you continue to grow stronger in your walk with Him!