Prayers for Ukraine
- 2014 Mar 25
Between my husband and I, we have traveled to Ukraine eleven times. Even now, six years since my last visit, places, sights, and smells will take me back to the beautiful countryside or the bustling brick streets in my mind within seconds.
The people of Ukraine have many lessons to teach: how to share, the enjoyment of creation, laughter, creativity, and simplicity. This was at least my experience in the more rural areas and with the children and younger generation of Christ-followers that we interacted with. On the opposite end of the spectrum were the hardened, worn faces we encountered of people who had lived under the iron curtain for longer than they had been free of it. They bore the marks of distrust and fear.
Communism leaves a mark long after its iron grip is loosened.
It pains me, as it does the souls of many, to see the powers that be straining to make the country of Ukraine once more wear the yolk of communistic slavery. As Putin seeks to take back all that the countries freed in the eighties, for I am convinced that is one of his highest aims, he, akin to others in Ukraine's past, will want to strip this beautiful country and her people of their language, freedoms, and identity. He wants to squelch the liberty in their lives for the end goals of his own dreams for Mother Russia.
I am no expert in foreign policy nor current affairs. I am simply a Christian-praying-thinking-woman who desires to see liberty and justice for the people and the orphans of Ukraine, Russia, and all the former Soviet countries.
Today, I ask you to join me in praying for this country that has made an everlasting impression on my life. For this region of Europe full of people who love the Lord Jesus as well as people needing to hear and receive the message of the gospel. I am asking you to make a difference in the history of the world. Will you join me? I know my God answers prayers and He is concerned with every facet of life. With God there is no split in the secular and the sacred; it is all a matter of sacred to Him.
- Pray for the government leaders of Ukraine to act with wisdom and justice for all her people.
- Pray for the leaders of NATO and the USA as they attend to the needs of Ukraine and the surrounding countries of the former Soviet Union. Pray that the powers that be will cut the rhetoric and act with reason and a sound mind.
- Pray for the gospel to go forth in the land of Ukraine and for the people's hearts to be receptive to the message of salvation and a Christian worldview.
- Pray for the Ukrainian believers for wisdom to understand the signs of the times and to act in accordance with God's will. Pray they will know how to respond to this face of adversity on a daily basis and for the long term.
- Pray for daily needs to be met for the poor and the orphaned.
- Pray that steps will be taken towards energy independence and/or other options for energy apart from Russia.
You can do more than pray, after you have prayed, but you cannot do more than pray until you have prayed.