“Many will come in my name claiming, ‘I am he, and will deceive many.’” Mark 13:6
“At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look here is the Christ! Or ‘Look there he is! Do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and miracles to deceive the elect if that were possible.” Mark 13:21-22 (also in Matthew 24:5, 23-24)
With all the prophecies and signs of the end times that Jesus shares in these verses, He also says this over and over:
He warns us to stay aware.
Though it’s clear that no one knows the day or hour of Christ’s return, He does remind us 7 different times through Mark 13 to be on guard, watch out, be alert. He longs for His people to “wake up” and not be deceived or unaware of what’s going on around us.
- "Watch out that no one deceives you..." v. 5
- "You must be on your guard..." v. 9
- "So be on your guard, I have told you everything ahead of time." v. 23
- "Be on guard!" v. 33
- "Be alert!" v. 33
- "Therefore, keep watch..." v. 35
- "If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to everyone: Watch!" v. 36
Image Credit: Thinkstock.com