She wore an elegant off-white dress and the pearls graced her smile. I gave her a huge hug as she stood beside her prince at the receiving line in the wedding reception. “God did answer after all, didn’t he?” I whispered in her ear.
She giggled. “Did He ever!”
It seems like only a few months ago that she and I had chatted on the way to the mall. “I’m tired of kissing frogs,” she had said. “God must not have marriage in His plans for me. But the loneliness is killing me.”
And before it did, she changed her method of searching. With one click, she unsubscribed from the on-line dating service. And instead she stepped into the waiting room of her heart. And it was there where she had private, prayerful dialogues with God.
If you’re longing for a husband and tired of the wait, I hope these verses and prayers are an encouragement your soul desperately needs.
1. “Let your cry come to me, and I will give you an answer, and let you see great things and secret things of which you had no knowledge.” Jeremiah 33:3
Lord, I want a life partner, but don’t know how to find one. I don’t know where to begin looking. Please help me have peace in this process and hope in the wait.
2. “Cast your burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain you. He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.” Psalm 55:22
I can’t let go the loneliness that nags at night. Show me what to do, Lord. Please remove the weight of loneliness that clings to my heart. Bring relief to this ache I have inside for companionship.
3. “…add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience…” 2 Peter 1:5-8
Lord, I know you’ll bring the ideal man in your timing. But, Lord, give me faith in the wait. Help me have patience and with that patience, expectant joy at the wonderful plan you have for my life.
4. “In the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.” Psalm 5:1
I can only deal with one day at a time, Lord. Grant me daily strength. Each morning, fill me with the courage to face the day. Help me not be overwhelmed as I look at what the future might be. Help me live in the present and focus on the people in my life you are currently calling me to love: friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, and church family. Help me pour out all the love in my heart on them and serve them with love and joy.
5.“Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.” Psalm 37:7
Secret envy makes me restless as I see others who don’t know you happy with a husband. I repent of that envy now, Father, and ask you would fill my heart with love instead. Help me interact with other married couples without frustration or impatience or jealousy – help me show them love, understanding and respect.
6. “Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4
I relish in thoughts of finding happiness with the right man. Why can’t I hold back my desires, Lord? Help me make you the one burning desire of my heart. Fill me with a love for you that surpasses even my understanding. Help me know your deep, perfect love for me, a love not dependent on anything I have done or will do, but on what you have done on the cross of Calvary. You love me so much. You love me tenderly, perfectly. Help me never forget that.
7. “Oh Lord you have search me and you know me… You are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is in my tongue, You know it completely O Lord!” Psalm 139:1-4
I trust that even when no one knows, you know my deepest longing, and observe my biggest fears. Nothing about me is secret from you. That thought comforts me, Lord, as I know you know my deepest longings and want only good for my life.
8. “I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11-13
If nothing changes in my situation, what will my life look like? I don’t know the specifics, but I do know that God, you have a great plan for my life. You promise me that in your Word. You promise to give me a great hope and future. I don’t know exactly what my future looks like. But I do know if you are in it, it is good.
9. “I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock…” Psalm 40:1-2
Your Word sustains me. And when I’m shaky, I know to stand on the firm foundation of your promises. Lord, the next time I feel my feet slip into worry or sadness or fear, I pray you would lift me out and remind me of your goodness and grace.
10. “Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33
Lord, above every hope and desire, above every person, help me seek you above all. Help me long for you and your ways more than my own dreams for myself. Lord, I boldly ask for you to fill me with your peace and joy, and to remind me often that you are working all things out for my good. Thank you so much for your love and care of me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Janet Perez Eckles is an international speaker and author of four books. Her best-selling release, Simply Salsa: Dancing Without Fear at God’s Fiesta invites you to experience the simplicity of finding joy even in the midst of hardship, With engaging stories, Simply Salsa gives practical steps to overcome heartache and celebrate life once again.
Image Credit: Thinkstock.com, Unsplash.com
Originally published Thursday, 23 March 2017.