A Prayer to Put on God's Belt of Truth
Day by day, hour by hour, we face a spiritual war and an enemy who’s real. He wants nothing more than to bring defeat; for his main aim is to steal, kill, and destroy. But God gives us everything we need to stand strong in this life, and Ephesians 6 tells us to take up His full armor in order to stand strong against the enemy’s schemes.
“Stand firm then, with the bit of truth bucked around your waist…” - Ephesians 6:14
One thing that recent days has probably made us more aware of than ever is this world can be a battlefield. Times may feel uncertain right now. Worry and anxiety might be a constant struggle as needs press hard against us. Fear often wreaks havoc in our minds and hearts. Day by day, hour by hour, we face a spiritual war and an enemy who’s real. He wants nothing more than to bring defeat; for his main aim is to steal, kill, and destroy.
But God reminds us constantly through His word that we’re never alone. He is with us always and promises to fight for us even in the toughest battles. He gives us everything we need to stand strong in this life, and Ephesians 6 tells us to take up His full armor in order to stand strong against the enemy’s schemes. Each specific piece of armor has a unique purpose, designed for our protection and covering. Every word has meaning and provides great wisdom for us today.
Photo Credit: © Getty Images/Massonstock
What Is the Belt of Truth?
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.”
The very first piece of armor mentioned in this powerful passage is in verse 14, God’s belt of truth, representing the truth and knowledge of who Christ is. A soldier would often wear a strong leather belt fastened around his waist to hold up his tunic, offer protection, and carry his sword or weapon. Just as this belt held everything together in place and needed to be put on first in a soldier’s armor, so the truth of Christ Himself holds all things together and secure in our lives. He is first.
Without an awareness of who is He is, and His love and truth living through us, everything else falls apart. Jesus Christ, His truth in us, over us, breathing through us, is crucial to living free. God’s truth and His word, the very sword of the Spirit, are powerful, living, and active in our lives and in this world (Hebrews 4:12).
Design Credit: © SWN/Rachel Dawson
11 Reminders of the Power of God’s Truth in Our Lives:
1. Jesus is the truth and only way to eternal life: “Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6
2. His truth brings freedom: “And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32
3. God’s word is true and a shield over our lives: “Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.” Proverbs 30
4. It is a weapon against the enemy and protects us from his schemes: “For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
5. It’s important to focus of His truth: “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” Philippians 4:8
6. It sets us apart as true worshippers of Christ: “But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.” John 4:23
7. We must raise our children to know His truth: “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” 3 John 1:4
8. God purifies us by the power of Christ and His truth: “Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.” John 17:17
9. As believers, God’s Holy Spirit within us is truth and promises to help us: “But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.” John 15:26
10. God commands us to know His word and wisely handle His truth: “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:15
11. God promises that He is near to those who call on Him in truth: “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” Psalm 145:18
Paul, who wrote the book of Ephesians, was directly inspired by God’s Spirit to write this passage while imprisoned, in chains. He may likely have been looking at a guard and his armor even as these verses were penned. Yet God’s truth reminds us that no matter what we face in this life, the enemy can never chain our spirits which have been set free by Christ. He’s given us his Word and Spirit, powerful and true, so we’ll have the wisdom and protection to stand against the enemy.
Satan will always fight hard against us with his lies and deception. Be aware, he can be so incredibly deceptive that his lies can even “sound” like truth. He’s a master manipulator and will twist words to bring confusion and doubt. This should give us even greater reason to know God’s word and meditate on His truths. There is power in the truth of Jesus Christ and He alone can defeat the enemy’s schemes.
Photo Credit: © Getty Images
A Prayer to Put on God’s Belt of Truth:
Today we put on the full armor to guard our lives against attack. We give special importance to putting on the belt of truth to protect us against the enemy’s lies and deception. Thank you Lord, for your truth and Word that shield us and give us discernment and awareness to stand strong in this life. Thank you for this strong belt of truth, and the gift of Jesus Christ, who alone holds everything together.
We call on you today and believe that you are near, our shield and our refuge. Give us your wisdom to raise our children to know your words of truth and power. Set us apart in this world, purify us with your forgiveness and encompassing love.
As we pray through this passage of Scripture, we also put on the breastplate of righteousness to protect our hearts from the temptations we battle. We put the gospel of peace on our feet, so we’re ready to take your light wherever you send us this day. We choose to walk in the peace and freedom of your Spirit and not be overcome with fear and anxious thoughts.
We take up your shield of faith that will extinguish all the darts and threats hurled our way by the enemy. We believe in your power to protect us and choose to trust in you. We put on the helmet of salvation, which covers our minds and thoughts, reminding us we are children of the day, forgiven, set free, saved by the grace of Christ Jesus. We take up the sword of the Spirit, your very Word, the one offensive weapon given to us for battle, which has the power to demolish strongholds and is alive, active, and sharper than any double-edged sword.
We ask for your help in remembering to put on your full armor every day, for you give us all that we need to stand firm in this world. Forgive us God for the times we’ve been unprepared, unaware, or just trying to fight though battles in our own strength.
Thank you that we never fight alone, for you are constantly at work on our behalf, protecting, strengthening, exposing deeds of darkness, bringing to light what needs to be known, covering us from the cruel attacks we face even when we’re unaware.
We recognize our need for you today Lord, and we thank you that only in you can we walk in true freedom and power.
In Jesus’ Name,
Reminders for Today:
- Put on His belt of truth.
- Be reminded you are set free because of Christ’s power and the truth of His word.
- Stay alert and aware to the enemy’s schemes.
- Meditate on God’s truths and call on Him when you feel afraid.
- Know that He is with you and is your shield and refuge no matter what you’re facing.
Photo Credit: © Getty Images
Debbie McDaniel is a writer, pastor's wife, mom to three amazing kids (and a lot of pets). Join her each morning on Fresh Day Ahead's Facebook page, for daily encouragement in living strong, free, hope-filled lives. Find her also on Twitter and at her blogdebbiemcdaniel.com.
This article is part of our prayer resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can't find the words to pray.