15 Bible Verses about Comfort for Peace in Hard Times
“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
Our comfort comes through the presence of God, which believers in Christ experience through the Holy Spirit. Sent as the Comforter after Christ ascended into heaven, the Spirit of the Living God is a constant presence in our lives. He helps us understand God’s Word and His will for our lives. When we are overwhelmed and ready to give up, He’s there to remind us why our lives are important… purposed… and compassionately cherished by our Abba Father in heaven. May these verses provide comfort in the darkest and hardest of times, knowing we never walk through them alone. Our great God in heaven hears, sees, and accompanies us through every storm.
Here are 15 Bible verses about Comfort to overcome Despair:
1. “The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you or forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Deuteronomy 31:8-9
2. “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1
3. “The LORD is my light and my salvation- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold my life- of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
4. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
5. “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.” John 14:1
6. “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort., who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort. ” 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 NIV
7. “You are my Comforter in sorrow, my heart is faint within me.” Jeremiah 8:18 NIV
8. “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4 NIV
9. “Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains! For the LORD comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.” Isaiah 49:13
10. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” Matthew 5:4
11. “I remember, LORD, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them.” Psalm 119:52 NIV
12. “He sets on high those who are lowly, and those who mourn are lifted to safety.” Job 5:11
13. “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:22-23
14. “Peace I leave you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” John 14:27
15. “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:37-39
Meg Bucher writes about everyday life within the love of Christ. She stepped out of her comfort zone, and her Marketing career, to obey God’s call to stay home and be “Mom” in 2011. From that step of obedience her blog, Sunny&80, was born, a way to retain the funny everyday moments of motherhood. Meg is also a freelance writer and author of “Friends with Everyone.” She loves teaching God’s Word and leading weekly Bible study, being a mom, distance running, and photography. Meg resides in Northern Ohio with her husband, two daughters, and Golden-Doodle… all avid Cleveland Browns fans.
Image Credit: ©Unsplash/ArifRiyanto
Meg writes about everyday life within the love of Christ as an author, freelance writer, and blogger at Sunny&80. Her first book, “Friends with Everyone,” is available on amazon.com. She earned a Marketing/PR degree from Ashland University but stepped out of the business world to stay at home and raise her two daughters. Besides writing, she leads a Bible Study for Women and serves as a Youth Ministry leader in her community. She lives in Northern Ohio with her husband, Jim, and two daughters.