Renee Fisher is an author, coach and consultant who recently launched a full-service creative agency for authors. She is passionate about defending dreams and spurring others forward to love and good deeds (Hebrews 10:24). #DreamDefender
Renee is a BIG fan of glitter, a graduate of Biola University and lives in Austin, Texas with her handsome husband and their fur child named “Starfish.” Connect at ReneeFisher.com and YourDre
Editor's Note: The Quarter Life Conference has already come and gone -- but we encourage you to still look up the speakers mentioned below for more information about the topics they covered!
This week, I am pleased to announce an all new Quarter Life Conference on career and social justice.
Have you recently lost or quit your job?
I recently left my social media job at the church Marc and I were attending. I am excited to see what God has next! I also know of others who have, or wish they could quit their jobs too. I teamed up with 7 other AMAZING speakers to give you tips on how to survive and thrive in your career. To attend this free & online conference starting October 3rd, please sign up here.
You can even get a group together like some of my friends in South Korea just did for their Fall Retreat!
A verse to help us as we figure out what we want to be when we grow up is from Prov. 19:2 (AMP) says,
"Desire without knowledge is not good, and to be overhasty is to sin and miss the mark."
As we fiercely pursue new jobs, may we not lose sight of God's will!
Here are 8 Tips to Survive and Thrive in Your Career.
1. Your Job Can Advance God's Kingdom - Dr. Amy Sherman speaks on vocational calling and career, and how we can further God's kingdom by what we do. We don't have to be a pastor or be a super spiritual Christian--instead, focus on whatever gifting you already have as an artist, architect, or whatever to spread the message of the Gospel. There is no sacred or secular divide. Jesus is renewing everything for His kingdom! This is great news for those of us who have felt guilty for not going into "full time ministry."
2. God works in spite of action (or in-action) on our part - Christy Stroud speaks on God's plan vs. your career plan, and how God brought her a job even when she wasn't looking. Be encouraged! Even though the economy is obviously way, way worse than it was many years ago--God's plan is always way, way better than our own. You and I never know where that next job will come from! You can trust God with your career!
3. Sexual Harassment at Work is Wrong - Crystal Renaud speaks on social justice. No job should ever mistreat, manipulate, or lead you to a place where sexual harassment is considered normal or even okay! Because it's not. If you or anyone you know is currently being manipulated at their job--it's okay to get help! You don't have to feel trapped in a job with inappropriate coworkers or bosses. (Side note: It took me four years to confess that I had been sexually harassed at a Christian work place. You can read that article here.)
4. Find and Do Work That Matters - Justin Zoradi speaks on why doing work that matters means that you're using your greatest strengths. Good character creates sustainable success, and the person you are becoming is far more important than the work that you are doing. It's important to play the long term investment game now as a 20/30-something--so that you can reap those rewards through the rest of your career.
5. Don't Waste Your Life or Career - Paige Omartian speaks about how bone cancer almost took her life as an 11 year old. Our career is a lot bigger than just what we do as our job--it's what we do with our life. You don't have to wait for a life altering experience to start pursuing your career. Your life matters now! It's time to stop wasting your life, and ask God to help lead and guide you in the right career path today!
6. You Are Not The Only One Struggling in Your Career - Paul Angone speaks on how our twenties are tough. That's the truth. Too many 20-somethings are struggling through a quarter life crisis alone. You and I need help. Together, we need support. We all need nudges, prompts, advice and encouragement. No one has it figured out. It's okay to struggle, but you don't have to be alone!
7. Start Your Own Business - I speak on 5 easy steps to start your own business. As a 20-something I started my own business over 5 years ago, and as a 30-something I'm so glad I did. I've learned so much as a self employed person, and it has allowed me the freedom to pursue my dreams as a full time speaker and writer. If you would like to know more information on how to star your own business, please go here.
8. Take Time to Find Your Dream Job and Career - Sarah Francis Martin speaks on taking time to gain valuable work experience to get that dream job/career. Unfortunately, not every one is in the position to take a few years (or five) to gain valuable work experience, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. It is possible to pursue your dream job and career in today's economy! Thankfully, God does not waste any work experiences. Of we're open--He'll show us where He wants us to go, and what He wants us to learn each step of the way.
*Don't miss all these amazing speakers. Please sign up for the next Quarter Life Conference on October 3, here.