Girlfriends in God is a non-denominational ministry that crosses generational and racial boundaries to bring the Body of Christ together as believers. Just as God sent Ruth to Naomi and Mary to Elizabeth, God continues to use women to encourage and equip other women in their spiritual journey. We are doing life together! The Girlfriends in God Daily Devotional is our popular daily Bible devotion for women. GIG Devotionals for Women offer wisdom and insight for applying Biblical truths to the ups and downs of everyday life. Reading daily devotions provides strength and encouragement in your daily walk with Jesus Christ.
Upside Down Blessings
“But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him ” (1 Corinthians - 29 NIV).
Friend to Friend
When I was a little girl, I remember my mom making pineapple upside down cake. It always amazed me that the bottom of the cake made such a pretty top when the cake plopped out of the pan.
Come to think of it, many of God’s promises seem upside down blessings by the world’s standards. Let’s consider a few:
· “Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave-- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:26-28).
· “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, it will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you” (Luke ).
· “Then he said to them, "Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all--he is the greatest” (Luke ).
· “But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me” (2 Corinthians 12:9).
· Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up.” (James 4:10)
Through our weakness, He makes us strong. Through our dying, He makes us alive. Through our wounds, He makes us whole.
Today, ponder these promises and enjoy a slice of God’s upside down blessings.
Dear Lord, I am so glad that You are in control. If I was in charge of my life, it would be a mess. I pray that Your upside down blessing will shower my life. Help me to be a humble giver with a servant’s heart who is totally dependent on You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Now it's Your Turn
Go back up to the examples of God’s upside down blessings and write down examples of what each one might look like.
For example: #1 When I serve others that is when I am the greatest.
Can you think of any other upside down blessings?
How have you seen God’s upside down blessings in your life?
For more on today’s topic see Your Scars are Beautiful to God- Finding peace and purpose in the hurts of your past by Sharon Jaynes
Girlfriends in God, Inc.